In light of the confirmation of the cancellation of Wimbledon and the entirety of the grass court season as well as the announcement that the City of Toronto has cancelled all events, festivals and gatherings until June 30, we have deemed this a good opportunity to provide you with an update on the Rogers Cup, the current state of professional tennis and the timeline regarding the potential decision to postpone the tournament due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
At this time, planning of the 2020 Rogers Cup is well underway and we are continuing to prepare to operate and host a world class event for our players, our fans, our partners and the tennis community at large. However, we cannot deny that there is a strong possibility that our tournament is postponed until next year if the current situation, both in Canada and in the rest of the world, does not considerably improve.
The ATP and WTA tours have given themselves until June 1, 2020 to make a decision regarding the hard court season, in which Rogers Cup is a key event. It should be noted that until then, the Canadian government or local government authorities may put in place restrictions that would prohibit the Rogers Cup from taking place, regardless of the decision made by the tours. That being said, we are confident that we will be able to confirm the status of our tournaments on June 1st.
Until then, Tennis Canada is continuing to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and remains in daily contact with the Public Health Agency of Canada, various government agencies and the different tennis organizations. We would like to reiterate that the safety and welfare of our customers, players, partners and employees remains our top priority.
We will continue to communicate any changes to all stakeholders as the situation evolves.