Emoting every emotion, feeling every feel
It was... *quite* the night for Leylah Fernandez.
Not only did she win an absolute thriller against Beatriz Haddad Maia in three sets in her home town, but she did it in dramatic fashion with twists and turns that had the Montreal crowd on the literal edge of their seats.
And it wasn't just the crowd who was feeling all the emotions; Leylah was too – and she wasn't afraid to show it! 😂
1. It started off calm, focused, composed. A warrior ready for battle against a challenging opponent.
2. All going to plan – it was a tight tussle in the first set, but with enough resilience and shotmaking at the right moment, the set was Leylah's.
3. Second set a bit tighter, loving the battle but the opponent is raising her level and the games are getting longer.
4. Got the break early in the third, but gave it right back after some nervy serving. Just wants to close it out but Haddad Maia loves a three-setter and isn't making it easy.
5. Had match point at 7-5, 5-4*, but let it slip. Oh, and then broken to love in the next game. And now suddenly into a third set as the sun's going down.
6. Run, run, run. Leylah embraces the battle of a third set even if she probably wishes she could have closed it out in the second set. Why not put on a show for the Montreal crowd? 🤷
7. The match is nearing a turning point and the crowd is getting so invested that they're calling out during the points. Leylah isn't loving it as she misses a crucial break point late in the third.
8. MASSIVE point won by the Canadian at 30-0 as she attempts to serve out the match. Nothing like a feathered drop shot followed by a lunging volley across the net to bring the home crowd to it's feet! 🔥
9. That sweet, sweet taste of victory. Not only was it an epic match for the crowd, but it was an epic match for Leylah. Into the third round in Montreal for the first time and will play Danielle Collins on Thursday night for a spot in the quarter-finals. Allez! 💪